Now, I’m not normally a massive fan of aubergine but pair it with cheese and I will be one happy girl. Actually pair anything with cheese, any cheese – edam, stilton, you name it, I will devour it so quickly that even the mice would wonder what happened to the cheese in their traps. I’m just joking, I would never be so cruel as to steal cheese from a mouse, however tempting it may be. I have never done that before. *Looks around the room awkwardly*.
Anyway before you all start getting cheesed off by all of my cheese talk (I really will stop now!) I will get to the purpose of the post. Aubergine involtini, an Italian dish, which is healthy and delicious and here’s how to cook it up:
You will need:
- 1 eggplant
- Handful of thyme
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- Tomatoes (I used 2 tinned tomatoes but you can use fresh)
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Parmesan cheese
- 1 packet of ricotta cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Heat the tomatoes in a pan on a medium heat with the butter and place the onion (cut into halves) in the tomato sauce. Add salt and pepper and leave to simmer so it thickens. You may need to grind the tomatoes slightly at the end to get rid of any large bits.
- Meanwhile slice the aubergine ¼ inch thick each. You should get about 12 slices.
- Brush the slices with olive oil, add salt and pepper and grill until they go slightly brown and soft.
- In a bowl mix together the ricotta, thyme, lemon zest and half the juice of the lemon.
- Add a tablespoon of the ricotta filling to one end of the aubergine slice and roll.
- Spoon some of the sauce into an ovenproof dish, add the aubergine rolls and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the sides of the dish are dark and the rolls are brown.
- Garnish with yet more cheese – the parmesan.